- ½ cup unsalted butter1
- pint heavy whipping cream
- 1 Tbls. Flour
- Pepper Tree Seasoning of your choice to taste (Start with 1 tsp.)
- Melt butter in saucepan over medium heat and bring to a light simmer.
- Whisk in flour vigorously so that flour doesn't clump up.
- Pour heavy whipping cream in slowly as you continue to whisk.
- Add your favorite Pepper Tree Seasoning in to taste. We recommend starting with 1 tsp. and and tasting. You can always add more to get to your prefered taste.
We like to use a teflon coated flat whisk rather than a standard wire whisk and in a circular motion scraping the bottom of the saucepan.
Use a heavy sauce pan so it does not move around on you as you are whisking and pouring at the same time.
If you have to stop whisking at any time, remove from heat, whisk a little while longer as pan cools, then set aside. Never let the sauce sit still over flame. It will burn easily.
If you are going to use this recipe with Pepper Tree Seasonings seasoned meat (for example with our Smoked Salmon and Pasta with Cream Sauce found here), you will want to pull back on the amount of seasoning you add to the cream sauce. This is because the flavor of the meat will add more of the same flavor to the dish and might over power it. Consider making the cream sauce just under what you would consider to be the perfect amount of flavor to your personal taste and letting the added meat do the rest.
Makes 8 to 10 servings
Takes about 4-5 minutes to prepare.